Progress is slow thanks to python’s constrictions

I’m having trouble interfacing python with my windows computer. It can’t seem to load the functions in the win32com module, which appears to be necessary to interact with windows in any reasonable fashion (it says no such module exists, but the module is listed in the standard set for python 2.7.1). If any python experts out there can help me out with this I would be much obliged. It’s really holding me up right now.

Writing Our Own Webserver

In order to serve the live data from the remote computers to the client computer we needed to write at least part of our own web server to handle the AJAX requests for plug-in data. After writing a few dummy scripts, checking what out kind of input we will need to handle, it became very simple to handle and return data to the client computer. I wrote a C/C++ backed to handle the Ajax requests and send data back to the client computer. A port in bound on the computer then the program waits for a client to connect to it, initiating the AJAX query. After the web browser sends data to the server it is parsed and the actual request is separated from the meta-data. After the request is parsed, the server looks up the information and sends it back to the client in whatever format the data is needed in, not just HTML.

Interfacing between the Web UI and the root server

After much research into different methods of updating the UI as if it were live, we came up with three different methods of communication. The first method we found was WebSockets, which allows you to send data over a single socket. This would allow us to send all the data we needed to the user’s web browser without much trouble. The only problem is that WebSockets is not fully compatible with every web browser. Firefox 4 and Opera 11 have disabled this feature in fear of an exploit. Chrome 4 and Safari 5 continue to use the feature but appear to be planing to disable the feature if actual exploit code is developed. Until this protocol is revised it does not seem like a smart idea to write our program relying on a feature that will most likely not be enabled. From there the next idea was to build a plug in for all the major web browsers which would basically create a socket and pretended the web browser had WebSockets. The problem with this approach is that we would need to design plug ins for each web browser. While building web browser plug ins is an acceptable option, the simplistic option is to use rapid AJAX requests. This idea came from the APE (Ajax Push Engine), however instead of using APE we will be incorporating the feature into our program, allowing the user an easier time configuring their program.